Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday Shopping Adventure

It was quite the productive Saturday! My mom and Katie braved the maternity clothing store world with me and were quite the troopers as we ran all over the city for a lovely afternoon of shopping. I'm a picky shopper normally and usually go by myself and take forever, but we had quite the system down after the first store - I tried things on like crazy and they hung up and returned my massive reject pile, and brought me new options. I really didn't want to spend much since I'll only be wearing them for 5ish months and its hard to get excited about elastic and panelled pants and tops big enough to fit a bowling ball under. As tempting and cute as the designer brands/stores were, we went the bargain route and had a lot of luck. I came home with 2 pairs of dress pants, a dress, 2 cardigans, 3 long sleeve work shirts, and 6 short sleeve shirts that will eek by as work shirts or casual - all for $200!!! Hope this will get me through the end of winter and spring. Will need to pick up a few casual summer options (capris, shorts, tanks, & sundress) to get me through June/July and figure out what in the world to wear for a fun fancy wedding in April, but feeling pretty set for now. A few pictures from the shopping spree:





***Maternity Store Experience Rankings***

Nine Consign - Minneapolis *D*

Not impressed at all. The thought of used clothing creeps me out but figured it was worth taking a look as the website seemed promising. Unfortunately it felt very consignmenty and the selection, quality, and brand names were lacking and the clothes seemed overpriced. I found a cute summer top so it was worth checking out.

Bellies to Babies - Richfield *B-*

This place somewhat improved my uneasiness about consignment - it was nicely decorated and had much better selection, brands and pricing than Nine. Walked away with 3 tops and a pair of dress pants and might even go back in a couple months to find a few cheap summer items.

Uber Baby Outlet - Richfield *B-*

I wouldn't let myself set foot in Uber Baby as I would fall in love with everything and spend a fortune, but we did check out their outlet. It had a fairly small clothing section in the back with lots of fun trendy options. In true designer fashion the sizes ran small so unfortunately most things I tried on didn't work with "the girls" but I did pick up a $150 dress for $30 - not bad!

JCPenney *B-*

Not my favorite store so they had to drag me in, but there was a nice little section in the back of the store with basics. Found a pair of dress pants for work and 2 cardigans that I'll probably wear daily in the office this Spring so it was a successful trip and the price was right.

Motherhood Maternity *A-*

Nothing flashy or sexy about this place, but the clothes seem to fit the best from here, had a wide selection of basics, and the prices were very reasonable. Not glamerous but would recommend mommys-to-be check it out.

Thanks again to my helpers - got some great deals and looking forward to having comfy clothing to wear for the next several months.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a successful trip and made many stops! Was the staff at Motherhood Maternity rude? That place made my head spin.

    Did you check out the Gap at Soutdale, the maternity section is attached to the Baby Gap, I had the most success there. I think I found my favorite pair of pants on sale for $8!

    I kinda liked the extra stretch in the pants:))

    ReplyDelete