Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 4 & 5





Days 4 and 5 are hazy - we're functioning in zombie mode and everything blends together. We had our home care nurse visit yesterday morning and she was very helpful and reassuring. Nursing is our biggest challenge right now so I'm pumping around the clock and we also had to start supplementing until he gets the hang of it to keep putting on weight. Never thought our Woods Baby would be tagged as a "lazy eater" but his sucking is unproductive at this point so we have a big learning curve ahead. He had a weight check this morning and is back up to 7lbs 3 oz so we're making progress - baby steps.

My check up went fairly well although I'm now on Vicodin for the crazy pain from the episiotomyy. Apparently it was a 4th degree cut deep into the muscle but the nurse said it's healing well. Made me feel better that I wasn't being a baby about the pain - she said it was the worst possible kind to have.

This afternoon Ethan and I went to our first Mommy and Me class. Since he was 10 days late he was by far the youngest. Brian drove us out there as I was nervous about my first adventure out with baby and being on Vicodin. I was dreading it but am so glad I went. It's a group of 10 new mommies with babies from 6 days old up to 8 weeks old and I think it will be a great support group. They made me feel like a rockstar for coming so close after birth and it was really nice to hear that I'm not the only hormonal weepy post partum mama - they are all feel the same way. We have class every Wednesday for the next 5 weeks.

Brian has been a rockstar taking care of me and a huge help with baby. He's a diaper pro and helps with the bottle feedings since I am constantly attached to the pump. We're starting to get the hang of things and learning more about Ethan every day. He's such a cutie patooty and quite the snuggle bug. He is a great sleeper thus and we dread waking him up to eat because he looks so peaceful. He'll get more alert as he puts on weight so we're holding our breath that the 2 hour naps after feeding continues.

We're hanging in there - thanks for all the love!

1 comment:

  1. Kyle,

    Lincoln was a very lazy eater and very unproductive too. :( I hope it works out well for you! You're pumping so baby is still getting good stuff. It's very challenging, but you can do it! He is so beautiful and I love his black hair!

    ReplyDelete