Monday, July 19, 2010

On Becoming Baby Wise

Finished Baby Book #3 yesterday. "On Becoming Baby Wise - Giving your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam.


They advocate the Parent Directed Feeding Approach (PDF) following a flexible schedule of feeding time, awake time, and then naptime/sleep. For the first week or two the focus is simply to get the hang of nursing and getting full feedings 8-12 times a day. After two weeks the goal is get on a 2.5-3.5 hour schedule of eat/awake/sleep cycles based on hunger cues and time. The result is suppose to be a happy baby that sleeps through the night by around 9 weeks and confident/sane parents. Sounds good to me!

Based on my initial research and these 3 books I'm leaning more towards the flexible schedule end of the spectrum rather than on demand and follow the eat/play/sleep cycle. Have heard rave reviews of the Happiest Baby on the Block approach to soothing a crying baby so will definitely give this a try as well!

Being the planner/organized type this is more my style, and since I'll be the one spending 8 hours a day nursing and home with baby the first 3 months it makes sense to give this philosophy a whirl. Reading baby books is not Brian's thing so he is pretty indifferent on the whole philosophy debate but I know he'll be an amazing helper and guarantee he'll be better at diapering, swaddling, and bathtime than I will be. Go Team Woods ;)

On Deck: "Baby 411" by the same authors of "Baby Bargains." This is more of a reference guide/FAQ that I'm sure we'll use a ton in the first year. They have an entire chapter devoted to poop - nice!

40 weeks + 5 days = still pregnant

1 comment:

  1. BABY 411 is a great resource - I borrowed it from a friend. We did Baby wise and it worked well - it was great when we went out because I always knew what his schedule would be but I could still do what I wanted then :-)! Hang in there - you are a trooper!!!!

    ReplyDelete